Pay As You Go Tennis Sessions
Our Saturday morning ‘pay as you go’ sessions are very popular. They are a brilliant way for children to start playing in a fun and relaxed atmosphere that allows them to enjoy learning the basics of tennis. A lot of our team and county players began playing tennis this way!
No commitment needed to a course, you can do individual sessions but you must book in advance below before turning up.
The sessions run every Saturday of the year except in August and over Christmas.
Availability and Booking
Red ball, orange ball, green ball and yellow ball sessions with a maximum of 6 people per group, however, you can book 10 weeks in advance but there are limited spaces.
- 9 – 10am – red ball groups (ages 3 – 4) – Book Red Ball (ages 3 – 4) here.
- 9 – 10am – red ball groups (ages 5 – 6) – Book Red Ball (ages 5 – 6) here.
- 9 – 10am – red ball groups (ages 7 – 8) – Book Red Ball (ages 7 – 8) here.
- 10 – 11am – orange ball groups (ages 8 – 10) – Book Orange Ball (ages 8 – 10) here.
- 10 – 11am – green ball groups (ages 8 – 10) – Book Green Ball (ages 8 – 9) here.
- 11 – 12pm – green ball groups (ages 11+) – Book Green Ball (ages 11+) here.
- 11 – 12pm – yellow ball groups (under 14s) – Book Yellow Ball Teens (under 14s) here.
If you are interested, it would be worth booking in advance as sessions get booked up quickly.
Older Kids and Teens
We also run other drop-in sessions during weekdays for players of all levels and also regular squads for the more competitive kids.
- Teen Drop Ins – Beginners, Intermediate – Monday at 5pm – 6pm. Book Monday Teen Drop In here.
HOW TO GET IN ON SATURDAY!
Due to COVID-19 we need to make sure you arrive at the correct gate, please find details below:
- 9 – 10am (ages 3 – 4) Please enter at the gate on court 6 on Birchall Road (the courts where Tom used to be) – the gate now opens!
- 9 -10am (ages 5 – 6) Please enter at the gate by the clubhouse in the Maplemead cul-de-sac
- 9 – 10am (ages 7 – 8) Please enter at the gate on court 4 on Birchall Road (further up – on the courts they used to be coached on)
- 10 – 11am (ages 8 – 10 orange and ages 8 – 10 green) Please enter at the gate on court 6 on Birchall Road
- 11 – 12pm (ages 11+ & Teens) Please enter at the gate by court 6 on Birchall Road
Junior Coaching FAQs
It will depend on your child’s age and skill, we will inform you when your child is ready to move to the next group.
At Elly Shearman Tennis Coaching we encourage progression within our sport, we will of course let you know when your child is ready to move up a group. If you have any questions or queries please get in touch.
As a general rule for U10s, if they put the end of the handle in their armpit with the racket running along their arm, they should just be able to touch the end of the racket. By the time children are 11+ they will probably be using a full size 27” racket.
If you are unsure please ask your coach when you next see them and they will be able to advise.
Yes, we are able to support people completing their Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE), please get in touch with Elly directly.
We are an inclusive club and we want to encourage as many people to play tennis as possible. We have a number of squads for teens but we also offer drop in sessions for teens who just want to play for fun and not commit to a weekly more competitive session. All details can be found here - Pay-as-you go Tennis Sessions
Elly Shearman Tennis Coaching only coaches at Kings Lawn Tennis Club. Our head coach, Elly Shearman is part of the Avon Tennis Coaching team and will coach at different clubs as part of this role.
Yes, we would love to do more curriculum tennis, if your school is interested please feel free to give them our details. However, many schools have multi-sport programs working out of their school or running in their PE lessons and this can sometimes hinder whether they want tennis experts coming in as well.
If these FAQs don’t provide you with the answer you are looking for please contact us.