Our Head Coach, Elly Shearman shares five facts about herself.
Elly is passionate about getting people of all abilities involved in tennis but hates talking about herself, so we hope you enjoy these 5 things you probably didn’t know about…Elly!
- I met Tim Henman at a Under 15 County Schools Tournament where my school (Cotham School) came fourth!
- When I was in year 6, I felt I needed to challenge myself to not be so shy – so I went in for the auditions for the Christmas play. I had no intention of getting a part and was devastated when I was told I was Mary and had to sing a duet with Joseph in Clifton Cathedral. I did my best to swap and get out of it, but they wouldn’t let me. I cried for days!
- On a road trip from Tennessee to California when I was 20 we spent 2 nights in Yosemite National Park…I woke up to the sound of bears tearing down the food lockers and then a smaller bear tripped over our tent rope and half of our tent fell on us…it was terrifying and we had to stay silent and still!
- I used to ball girl every year at the Bristol Challenger (a professional men’s grass court tournament held at Redland) for people like Tim Henman, Greg Rusedski, Mark Petchey, Mark Hilton – we got to miss a whole week of school for it too!
- I used to live in Tennessee, USA and when I took my athletic training exam I had to drive seven hours to the test. On the way back there were tornado warnings everywhere, I drove through a town where everyone was in sheltering and I saw two tornadoes. I had to stop in the middle of Kentucky and knock on a door and shelter in a house with complete strangers for three hours before trying to drive home – it was very scary! I did pass the test though!
If you are interested in finding out more about Elly Shearman Tennis Coaching and what we have on offer please get in touch to find out more. We offer something for everyone whatever level you are!